Part 2 of this article explored a free-market approach to education from a Christian worldview perspective. Part 3 listed practical action items and ideas to help move Part 2 toward a reality. Below are a number of references that speak to the important role both parents and the church have in the education of children. Godly training for children and adults is a theme that spans the entire Bible. The verses below are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) translation.
- Deuteronomy 6:4-7 – Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
- Psalm 78:5 – 8 – For He established a testimony in Jacob and appointed a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers that they should teach them to their children, that the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, that they may arise and tell them to their children, that they should put their confidence in God and not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments, and not be like their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation, a generation that did not prepare its heart and whose spirit was not faithful to God.
- Proverbs 4:1-2 – Hear, O sons, the instruction of a father, And give attention that you may gain understanding, For I give you sound teaching; Do not abandon my instruction.
- Matthew 18:6-7 – but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.
- Matthew 19:13-14 – Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.
- Matthew 28: 19-20 – Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
- Luke 6:40 – A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.
- Acts 1:8 – But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
- 1 Corinthians 15:33 – Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”
- 2 Corinthians 6:14 – Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?
- Ephesians 4:11-16 – And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.
- Ephesians 6:4 – Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
(Children are to be taught Godly ways all the time – every day and in every setting)
(Fathers are to teach children Godly ways so that the children will put their confidence in God. By contrast, state-controlled public schools teach from a position that we should put our confidence in man because man is supreme.)
(Fathers instruct your children in true understanding; don’t send them away to schools that instruct under false understandings.)
(Children whose thinking is developed from false ideas will stumble.)
(Sending children away to be trained in ungodly doctrines is hindering.)
(Christians and the Church are called to make “Christian” disciples, not disciples of secular humanism.)
(Who do you want your child to model his or her life after? How about you!)
(Jesus was very intentional, so the order is likely intentional – start closest to home. Don’t forsake the children in the church for distant missions. Sending children to be discipled into a counter-Christian mindset is a sure way to kill the local church, and its missions.)
(Parents, don’t send your children to a school where you have little to no control over peer influences.)
(An education choice for a child is a binding that parents enter into.)
(The church is made up of people with a variety of gifts and callings that are to work together toward bringing every person in the church to a mature faith and knowledge so that no one is easily confused by false ideas. That cannot be accomplished when children are being sent away, five days a week, to be discipled under secular humanism.))
(Imagine operating a complex machine using faulty instructions. Can you see some frustration resulting? How about anger? Children experience a lot of pain and anger when the set of instructions they are given for life does not work. Instill true ideas in your children that will bring a Godly understanding and purpose to their life.)
Mark Shepard's Article Series
By Mark Shepard, Planting Seeds to Renew America Contact Mark: 4organicEducation@gmail.com Part 1 of this article made a case that every education option impresses a set of ideas into students. A free-market education model is the only option that allows parents to...
By Mark Shepard, Planting Seeds to Renew America Contact Mark: 4organicEducation@gmail.com Part 1 exposed many of the problems with the state-controlled public education system in our nation today and proposed moving to a free-market education system. Understanding...
By Mark Shepard, Planting Seeds to Renew America Contact Mark: 4organicEducation@gmail.com Schools are closed, children are home and parents are confronted with how best to help their children continue their education at home, where parents are more clearly seeing and...